Name: Stephanie - I used to be on LJ as 'clephan' for a very long time - I've had a livejournal since 2001.
Location: Milton Keynes for the last 15 years, after growing up in Leicester and spending a while in Sussex for university and early jobs.
I don't use most of those! Here's some links to me in other places...
Describe yourself in five sentences or less:
- I work for the Open University, and it breaks my heart every day to see how a once-vibrant instiution is becoming commercialised, corporate and uncaring.
- I worked on a PhD for nearly 10 years, finally finishing in 2015 and last month I published my first ever academic paper. I think that might be it for me and academia though...
- I'm learning to live with depression, anxiety and very wonky self-esteem rather than fighting them as I'm too old to change and they're not going to go away.
- My perfect day would involve writing, walking and a very nice pub lunch.
- To my horror, on holiday this year I realised that my body has forgotten how to swim and I didn't even know that was humanly possible.
- Music - for years I listened to nothing but the Cure but these days I supplement my listening with 6 Music and find some superb gems that way.
- Writing - I'm a stalwart NaNo person, and like making up stories for the rest of the year too. Sometimes I even write them down!
- Cooking - I started a cooking blog when I was studying for my PhD as a way to channel that stress into something more productive. I loved it, and really should write more there, too.
- Travel - a new one, this, as up until this year I'd never travelled further than France, and that was back when I was 11! But I've found that I really love visitng new places, and now my annual leave is my own rather than being eaten by the PhD, I have grand plans to carry on exploring. Next stop, Japan. Hopefully :)
- Photography - Another new interest. I did an OU module on photography last spring, and it's one of the few skills that clicked quickly and I was surprised to find I was proud of some of the pictures. I'm still learning, of course, but I'm enjoying the journey.
At the moment, it's all private diary entries because I use my LJ to work through stuff in my head. So they're not really interesting to anyone else, but in the past I've posted about life events, story ideas, places I've been or would like to go, people I've met and what it's like to be me.
My last three LJ posts were about...
The unexpected rush of falling in love, fears about changes coming in my job, being elated at my graduation.
How often do you post?
A couple of times a week, maybe?
A GIF to describe how your day has been today so far:
I'm sadly gif-less, but here's a static pic of some iced-over leaves that I was pleased with: